I have recently realize how difficult it is to eat out at restaurants. Not because people don't offer vegan food (they do, almost always), but people are so closed minded about it. So here are some ways to help all you vegans out there eat at yummy restaurants.
- Be prepared. Check out the menu before hand and write down what you want! This will ensure that you will definitely have something to eat.
- Check out Happy Cow. They have a lot of restaurants on there to show what are vegetarian and vegan friendly!
- Call them. Ask questions before you actually go it. I find that waiters and waitresses get impatient with me. Realize that they have other people to wait on. Do your homework and find out before you go in.
- Don't forget to check out the sides. Sometimes that is your best option. For example, today I ordered a side of fruit, a side of veggies, and a side of potatoes. I was full and it was all vegan!
- Check out Yelp too. If you type in vegan, a bunch of results will show up. Click on the restaurant, and search vegan again (it's in the middle of the page). You can see the person's comment that had the word vegan in it. This really helps me figure out what to order.
- Regardless of number 3, ask questions. It doesn't hurt to ask and you can get a clear answer right away.
- Sometimes it is just better to tell them that you are allergic to mean, dairy, and eggs. They are more careful when preparing your food when allergies are involved.
- Eat before (if you know they really do not have anything) or bring some snacks.
- Don't forget about the butter! Ask if they cook with butter.
- Most importantly, be polite and nice.
What have you experienced when going out to eat? What do you tell the waiters and waitresses (vegan or allergies)? Have you had any bad (or positive!) experiences when going out?
This post is written by Karel.
Oh She Glows
Don't Eat Your Friends Image